Holiday Security Checklist
When you go on holiday;
- Use timers on radios and lights.
- Cancel milk, newspaper and mail deliveries.
- Have a neighbour stop by to collect junk mail, and open and close curtains
- Make sure your neighbours know where they can contact you in an emergency and when you will be home
- Invite neighbours to use your driveway and clothesline to make it look like someone is home
- Lock away garden tools and ladders that could be used by a would-be thief to gain access to your house.
- Make arrangements for family pets to be looked after. If you are away for more than a few days, arrange to have your lawns mown.
- Consider inviting a relative or friend to house sit for you.
- Whatever you do, don't leave a message on your answer phone that you away. Instead, clear the messages yourself or arrange to have a friend check them regularly for you.
Reprinted with kind permission of; Neighbourhood Support New Zealand